What is Coronavirus?
Coronaviruses are a family of viruses that cause illnesses such as the common cold and Severe Acute Respiratory Syndrome (SARS). These viruses usually transmit between animals. But in some cases, they can be transmitted from animals to humans. This is called a spillover event.
In 2019, a new coronavirus was identified in Wuhan, China called the coronavirus disease 2019 (COVID-19) causing the World Health Organization (WHO) to declare a pandemic in March 2020.
Some of the common symptoms include:
- Difficulty in breathing
- Sore throat
When to consult a doctor?
You should consult a doctor in any of the following cases:
- You have at least two of the above symptoms
- You have recently travelled abroad and are experiencing any of the above symptoms
- You have recently been in contact with anyone who has travelled abroad
- You have recently been in contact with someone who has tested positive for Covid-19
- If you have any emergency Covid-19 signs such as trouble breathing and chest pains
How fatal is Covid-19?
Most infected people have mild to moderate symptoms. However, this disease can cause severe medical complications especially in patients with existing chronic medical conditions or elderly people.
How to protect yourself from the coronavirus?
While there is no vaccine to protect yourself from the virus, there are certain things you can do to protect yourself from contracting the virus. We recommend the following precautions to protect yourself from Covid-19:
- Wash your hands with soap for 1 minute every 2 hours
- Wear face masks when visiting any public places
- Avoid any public gatherings such as weddings, parties etc.
- Practice social distancing
- Cover your nose with your elbow when you sneeze or cough
- Avoid touching your eyes, nose, and mouth
- Stay at home if you’re sick or if you’re at high risk of serious illness
- Avoid close contact with people who display Covid-19 symptoms
- Use hand sanitizer after visiting any public place
- Disinfect any high-touch surfaces